Hague Historical Society
  • Home
  • Membership
  • Videos
    • Presentations
    • Interviews
  • Hotels
    • Braisted House
    • Garfield -> Beachside
    • Hiawatha House
    • Hillside Hotel
    • Iroquois Guesthouse
    • Iroquois Hotel
    • Island Harbor House
    • Locust Inn
    • Mohican House
    • Rand Hotel
    • Rising House
    • Sabbath Day Point House
    • Silver Bay Hotel
    • Sunwood Inn
    • Swinford Lodge
    • Trout House
    • Hotel Uncas
    • The West Farm
  • Archives
    • Graphite
    • Looking Back Columns
    • Hague Schools 1850-1926
    • The Wreck of the John Jay
    • The Cave
  • Signs/Markers
    • Walking Tour
    • Historical Markers
  • Newsletters
  • More
    • Home
    • Membership
    • Videos
      • Presentations
      • Interviews
    • Hotels
      • Braisted House
      • Garfield -> Beachside
      • Hiawatha House
      • Hillside Hotel
      • Iroquois Guesthouse
      • Iroquois Hotel
      • Island Harbor House
      • Locust Inn
      • Mohican House
      • Rand Hotel
      • Rising House
      • Sabbath Day Point House
      • Silver Bay Hotel
      • Sunwood Inn
      • Swinford Lodge
      • Trout House
      • Hotel Uncas
      • The West Farm
    • Archives
      • Graphite
      • Looking Back Columns
      • Hague Schools 1850-1926
      • The Wreck of the John Jay
      • The Cave
    • Signs/Markers
      • Walking Tour
      • Historical Markers
    • Newsletters
Hague Historical Society
  • Home
  • Membership
  • Videos
    • Presentations
    • Interviews
  • Hotels
    • Braisted House
    • Garfield -> Beachside
    • Hiawatha House
    • Hillside Hotel
    • Iroquois Guesthouse
    • Iroquois Hotel
    • Island Harbor House
    • Locust Inn
    • Mohican House
    • Rand Hotel
    • Rising House
    • Sabbath Day Point House
    • Silver Bay Hotel
    • Sunwood Inn
    • Swinford Lodge
    • Trout House
    • Hotel Uncas
    • The West Farm
  • Archives
    • Graphite
    • Looking Back Columns
    • Hague Schools 1850-1926
    • The Wreck of the John Jay
    • The Cave
  • Signs/Markers
    • Walking Tour
    • Historical Markers
  • Newsletters

Graphite

Old industrial buildings with smoke stacks and surrounding nature.

The Settlement of Graphite

From 1880 to 1921, the settlement of Graphite thrived at the top of Route 8. It boasted 400 inhabitants. Along with their homes, they had  a church, post office, school, boarding houses, a bowling alley, social hall, stores, a sawmill, and saloons.     

HOW IT ALL BEGAN: A farmer named Sam Ackerman, logging in the snow sometime during the 1880s, stripped the cover from a rock outcropping. Tree trunks skidded over that rock came up with dark smudges….evidence of graphite. The word reminds most people of the lead in pencils but that's a minor use. Graphite primarily serves in manufacturing crucible steel, in electrochemistry, as a paint pigment, and as a lubricant. And in industrializing America, it was a necessity.
     Although Adirondack graphite had appeared before, not in amounts that proved commercially workable. This strike was different. Samples forwarded to the American Graphite Company in Jersey City, New Jersey, tested out for high content, and the company (which was later absorbed by the Joseph Dixon Crucible Company) quickly went into action. By 1888, a bustling town appeared on the previously unsettled mountainside, workers and their dependents moved into new frame houses, and the first mill was built. That mill burned down in 1891, but a larger one (500 x 100' and more than two stories high) replaced it. 


Copyright © 2025 Hague Historical Society 

All Rights Reserved.

Powered by

This website uses cookies.

We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.

Accept